Notability is an excellent note-taking app for iOS, iPadOS and macOS users. Very few apps can compare. However, the limited page customisation cripples the app. So much that others look to alternatives for their daily note-taking needs. If you are a Notability fan and want a way to add custom paper templates, here’s how you do it.
- Save your PDF paper templates to a Cloud Service of your choice (Dropbox, Google Drive, OneDrive, Box or WebDAV).
Note: This is necessary because Notability only imports from Cloud services.
- Open Notability and import the paper template you just saved.
Hint: Create a subject for your paper templates. That way, you don’t have to import all your templates from a cloud service directly each time you need one.
When you need a custom paper template, go to your templates subject and choose the template you want to use.
- Tap on the pages icon (far right corner)
- Copy the page template you want
- Paste it in the notebook you’re creating your notes. Paste as many copies as you need.
Notability will recognise the templates as native if you get your templates from here. You will be able to change the colour for your added templates.
If you don’t have your own paper templates, you can download the Notability Paper Pack for free. But these will not work as native templates. Meaning you won’t be able to change the page colours as illustrated above.
If you wish to add bigger paper sizes (like A3, for example), you will truly appreciate their size paper through the zoom tool feature. Or by simply zooming into the document. That is because Notability only supports A4 size paper, and nothing else.